Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. We hope these next several months will be a wonderful time of growth for you as a couple as you prepare to ask our Lord to join you together as husband and wife.
Our wedding ministry contact is Rusty Brandt, @ 625-4531, ext. 220
Our wedding date is _____________ Our rehearsal will be ___________
The Archdiocese Risk Manager of San Antonio along with Catholic Mutual Insurance Group has set safety regulation guideline for our facilities. Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Church requests proper etiquette and reserves the right to refuse us of any facility to any person, organization, or others requesting use of facilities, or to evict any person or organization for misconduct.
ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES, SMOKING, AND CHEWING TOBACCO, ARE NOT ALLOWED IN ANY PART OF THE CHURCH, BRIDESROOM, RESTROOMS OR ANY FACILITY.
What will we need to do?
Marriage Formation Weekend (San Antonio- based) is
- Have a preliminary meeting with Rusty Brandt. You have already completed this step when you got this handbook.
- Send or drop off the Non-Refundable Church Fee. Re- confirm you date and time.
- This is also the time to decide if you wish to rent the Parish Hall. Information regarding the Hall can be found on page 8 of this booklet. You need to call our Parish Manager-Rusty Brandt @ 625-4531, ext. 220 or Christine Ikels @ 625-4531. ext. 216 to make arrangements for the Hall.
- During the next two weeks. Choose from one of the three marriage preparation programs and let Rusty Brandt know which one you have selected. They are summarized below. Take some time to talk as a couple and decide on the one you wish to do.
a weekend experience for couples planning marriage. It offers a unique opportunity for couples to dialogue together honestly and intensively about their lives together and their love for each other-their strengths and weaknesses, dreams, and hopes, desires and gifts; their attitudes about money, sex, children, family- all in a personal face to face way. Then the engaged couples are invited to share privately about these aspects of married life from the own perspective. Since the weekends have limited enrollment you need to register EARLY by calling 210-734-1650
A MARRIAGE IN THE LORD ( parish based)
this is a one day 7 ½ hours retreat/workshop for the engaged couple. This day looks at the broader aspects of the Sacrament of Marriage and takes a comprehensive view regarding the vocation of a Christian Marriage. Rather than focus only on the marriage preparation during the engagement this day will address the lifelong influences that shape attitudes and experiences that affect Christian marriage. Discussing topics from Communication, Money matters, Natural Family Planning to keeping Christ in the marriage. For dates and times please call 625-4531, ext. 220. The next scheduled classes are November 19, 2016 & January 21, March 11, May 20, or July 15, 2017
MARRIAGE SPONSOR PROGRAM (parish based)
in this program a married couple from the parish is assigned to the couple and meets for four sessions to look at various aspects of married life-expectations about our marriage; values and conflict with our relationship; sexuality and intimacy; marriage as a celebration of love and life. Each session begins with a prayer, time for the engaged couple to respond individually to a questionnaire, followed by time for the engaged couple to dialogue about their responses and finally the sponsor couple join the discussion to share from their perspective. Register by calling 625-4531, ext. 220.
Program Taken____________________ Completed ______________
It is recommended that you complete your preparation program
2 months before
- One month before the wedding set a meeting to turn in the following paperwork:
______Completion of Marriage Preparation Certificate
______ Groom’s Baptism Certificate (if Catholic this needs to have been issued within the last 6 months, if baptized here at
Sts. Peter and Paul let the office know and we can get the
information from our records
______ Bride’s Baptism Certificate ( if Catholic this needs to have been issued within the last 6 months, if baptized here at Sts Peter and Paul let the office know and we can get the information from our records.
______ 2 Free to Marry forms for each. Groom #1_____ Groom #2_____
Bride #1_____ Bride #2______.
The priest or deacon will explain the procedures for their signing these forms.
______ Marriage License issued within 30 days of the wedding. needs to be dropped off at the Church Office
at least 5 days BEFORE the wedding.
During this same time period schedule a meeting to plan your wedding ceremony. While meeting please fill in the Wedding Ceremony Outline in the back of this booklet. This will help the wedding coordinator at the rehearsal know what you have planned.
Before the Ceremony
- Rehearsal You are scheduled for a 45 to 1hour rehearsal time to walk through the service and allow readers to practice their readings. Please be on time. All members of your wedding party and those participating and our musicians should be present if at all possible. Other services may be scheduled this same day. This is NOT a time to change the plans already made with Father but to walk through the service that HAS ALREADY BEEN PLANNED so everyone know what will be happening.
- The Wedding Day
Once again it is important to be on time and to START on time.
is made available to the bride and bridesmaids for a two-hour period PRIOR TO THE WEDDING for the purpose of dressing for the wedding. This is not a place for a last minute party.
- Food, chewing gum, refreshments is not allowed
- No smoking, chewing tobacco or alcoholic beverages is allowed.
- All personal and wedding items (empty corsage boxes, etc.) are to be removed before the wedding ceremony.
- The Parish is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
Often we have two (occasionally even three) weddings on a Saturday. In order for the
Next wedding party to be able to use the Bride’s Room it is necessary to remove your items before the service so they have a two-hour preparation time as well.
next to the gathering area is available for the Groom and Ushers to meet in prior to the wedding. It is not a dressing area and are asked to come dressed for the wedding.
During the Wedding Ceremony
We know that often some members of the wedding party are not Catholic and may not be familiar with our Church traditions. We ask that you take time before the rehearsal to share with the wedding party the following Church etiquette:
- Respect for the Sanctuary: We ask that all members and friends of the wedding party show respect for the Sanctuary by refraining from boisterous and irreverent conduct during the rehearsal, wedding and picture taking within the Church.
- Do Not Enter the Altar Area without permission.
- A subdued tone of voice is recommended in conversation.
- Appropriate dress code is required. All head coverings for males are removed while in the church.
- Food, refreshments/alcoholic beverages of any kind are not allowed.
- It is responsibility of the wedding party to remove all decorations upon completion of the ceremony from the Church.
- The mother of the bride and other family members should be seated 5 minutes before the scheduled Wedding time.
- The Bride will be coming down on the isle exactly on the hour !
- The attendants should face in the same direction as the bride and groom, either toward the altar or to the center during the exchange of vows. They should not face the back of the Church. There should not be an attendant standing in front of the pulpit.
The bride and groom make arrangements with the organist; and if desired a soloist, for their services and fees. These are the names of musicians and soloists that are available in this church.
If not from this parish, they must
contact the Parish Manager
two weeks before
the wedding date and provide the music to be used for approval in the church and at weddings.
Barbara Houde (piano & organ), 625-9702; Dr. Rick Novak, (703)-615-1936 (piano and soloist); Mary Tamayo (soloist), 626-7320; Jim Wesolick ( guitar & soloist), 609-3166, Nancy Gillespie (soloist), 830-660-6713.
regarding the decorations which will be in the Altar area for the Liturgical Season before planning your arrangements.
- Floral arrangements in Church- 2 floral arrangements will be allowed. If you desire more than that, approval of the Church office is required. If you are scheduling a wedding during Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter, check with the Church Office
- Carpeting and furniture must be protected from any candle wax from a candle/candelabra and water from floral arrangements.
- There will be not masking tape, gluing, stapling, or tacking etc. of decorations to pews. NO metal clips may be used on pews.
Ask the coordinator for guideline when pictures may be taken. Photographers must be at the church no later than 45 minutes before the ceremony.
This is preprogrammed for events.
The Sound System:
This is preset and locked and access is not available to the wedding party.
Due to Fire and Safety Regulation:
may be lit in the aisles, side altars or anywhere in the church or in any facility (with the exception of the candles at the main altar.)
Following the Wedding Ceremony
- The tradition of throwing rice, real or silk flowers petals, streamers, confetti or bubbles in the church/facilities, or Church grounds is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
To be completed with the priest of deacon presiding over the
- You are welcome to take pictures in the Church following the service. Please continue to follow the Church etiquette outlined above. Pictures in the Church must be completed by 4:15 for the 3:00 weddings; 1:30 for the 12:00 weddings; etc.
The Ceremony will take Place: Within a Mass________
Within a Liturgy of the Word______
Wedding March: The Bride will be accompanied by _____________________
Old Testament Reading________________________ read by________________
Responsorial Psalm___________________________ read by________________
New Testament Reading_______________________ read by________________
Gospel Reading______________________________ read by priest or deacon.
Exchange of vows:
Blessing of Rings:
At the following part of the Mass:
___ Wedding March
___ Our Father *
- only when the wedding is within a Mass.
Those wishing to rent St. Mary’s Hall for the reception need to make arrangements with our Parish Manager- Rusty Brandt @ 625-4531, ext. 220 or Christine Ikels @ 625-4531. Ext. 216
Rental fee for Parishioners--- $ 1050
For Non-parishioners--$ 1200
A refundable Damage Deposit of $ 150 is required.
Security: 2 officers at $ 25. each for a minimum of 4 hours. (See #2 below)
Reservations for the Hall are not final until a Non-refundable deposit of $300 and completed application are received by the Business Manager.
Basic guidelines for the Hall:
- No lit candles or glass may be used. Free Standing decorations must be used.
- Uniformed security guards/police are required for all functions at which “soft alcohol” (beer, wine, sparkling wine, champagne) is consumed. No hard liquor is permitted on the premises. Liquor cannot be sold on the premises.
- The Church hires the Security Guards.
- Kitchen facilities are not open to the public. Catering is allowed use of the concession area and tables for their food.
- Please no dance wax to be used on the floors in the building
- All functions must end by Midnight.