First Confession & Communion Preparation
Reguires a 2 year period of preparation. This usually begins in first grade with the sacraments being received in second grade.
lays the foundation for the immediate preparation in second grade. During the First Grade year basic stories from the life and teachings of Jesus are presented, the basic prayers introduced and Baptism as the sacrament bringing us into God's family, the Chruch is presented.
The focus thoughout the second grade year is on preparing for these two sacraments. Parents are a key and central part of this preparation. A letter with details on the program will go out in October regarding the Confession preparation and one in mid January regarding Communion.
Be sure to mark these additional elements of the preparation for these sacraments:
1. Parent sessions Two sessions are held for each of the sacraments for a total of four meetings. These are held during the children's classtimes so you have two opportunities to attend each of these. At each session there will be time to deepen our own understanding of the sacraments as adults and tools to work with your children.
Confession Session 1 Sun., Oct 9 9:30 AM or Mon., Oct 10 6:30 PM
Confession Session 2 Sun., Nov 13 9:30 AM or Mon., Nov 14 6:30 PM
Communion Session 1 Sun., Jan 29 9:30 AM or Mon., Jan 30 6:30 PM
Communion Session 2 Sun., Mar 5 9:30 AM or Mon., Mar 6 6:30 PM
2. Presentation of Cross At the weekend masses on Oct 22/23 the parents will be asked to present a cross to their child preparing for the sacraments. The priest will also offer a blessing for the family for the coming year.
3. Retreat Days A four hour retreat (from 10AM-2PM) is held for each sacrament. Parents are encouraged to join their child for the day.
Confession Retreat Jan 14
Communion Retreat Apr 8
4. Interviews provide a time to review the sacrament with the children. We as a parent be present with them for the interview.
Confession interviews will be held on Sun. Jan 17 from 9:30-10:45AM,
Mon. Jan 18 from 6:30-7:45PM 3:15-4:30 PM,
Tues. Jan 19 from 3:15-4:30 PM
Communion interviews will be held on Sun Apr 17 from 9:30-10:45AM
Mon. Apr 18 from 3:15-4:30PM and from 6:30-7:45PM
5. Communion prayer service and rehearsal will be held on Thursday, Apr. 20 and Thursday, May 11 from 6-7 PM Please arrive 10 minutes early so you can set up your family table in St. Mary's Hall.
First Confessions will be celebrated on Tuesday, Jan 19 and Thursday Jan 21 at 6PM in the Church.