First Confession & Communion Preparation
For Second Graders
Most children receive these sacraments for the first time in second grade. The focus thoughout the second grade year is on preparing for these two sacraments. Parents are a key and central part of this preparation. A letter with details on the program will go out in October regarding the Confession preparation and one in mid January regarding Communion.
Be sure to mark these additional elements of the preparation for these sacraments:
1. Parent sessions Two sessions are held for each of the sacraments for a total of four meetings. These are held during the children's classtimes so you have two opportunities to attend each of these. At each session there will be time to deepen our own understanding of the sacraments as adults and tools to work with your children.
Confession Session 1 Sun., Oct 13 9:30 AM or Mon., Oct 14 6:30 PM
Confession Session 2 Sun., Nov 17 9:30 AM or Mon., Nov 18 6:30 PM
Communion Session 1 Sun., Jan 26 9:30 AM or Mon., Jan 27 6:30 PM
Communion Session 2 Sun., Mar 2 9:30 AM or Mon., Mar 3 6:30 PM
2. Presentation of Cross At the weekend masses on Oct 26/27 the parents will be asked to present a cross to their child preparing for the sacraments. The priest will also offer a blessing for the family for the coming year.
3. Retreat Days A four hour retreat (from 10AM-2PM) is held for each sacrament. Parents are encouraged to join their child for the day.
Confession Retreat Jan 18
Communion Retreat Apr 5
4. Interviews provide a time to review the sacrament with the children. We as a parent be present with them for the interview. Confession interviews will be held on Sun. Jan 19 from 9:30-10:45AM, Mon. Jan 20 from 6:30-7:45PM and Tues. Jan 21 from 3:15-4:30PM
5. Communion prayer service and rehearsal will be held on Wednesdays, Apr. 23 and May 14 from 6-7 PM
First Confessions will be celebrated on Thursday, Jan 30 and Tuesday Feb 4 at 6PM in the Church.
Older First Communion & RCIA for children Preparation (for those third grade and older)
A two year preparation to receive the sacraments takes place with our older youth. They need to attend the regular weekly classes in their appropriate grade. Five additional sessions are held each year to focus on their preparation for the sacraments. These sessions are for both the child and parents. A workbook will be given at the beginning of the first year that the family will complete over the two years.
First Year sessions focus on our basic beliefs as proclaimed in our creed. Sessions will be held in St. Mary's Hall on five Sundays from 4-5:15PM as follows: Oct 13, Dec 8, Feb 9, Apr 13, and Jun 1.
Second Year sessions will focus on preparing the children to receive the sacraments. Sessions will be held from 4:00-5:15 in St. Mary's Hall on the following five Sundays: Sep 15, Nov 10, Jan 12, Mar 2 & May 4
Apr 5, 2014
10:00 AM - 2:00 PMParents are encouraged to join their child for this final preparation for first communion. We'll visit the Church, practice receiving communion and review what they have learned. Don't forget to bring a lunch.
Apr 6, 2014
9:30 AM - 10:45 AMCome to the gym with your child for their interview.
Apr 7, 2014
3:15 PM - 4:30 PMCome to St. Ann's Hall with your child for their interview.
Apr 7, 2014
6:30 PM - 7:45 PMCome to the gym with your child for their interview.